Sure, you probably have a beer to thank for helping you meet your girlfriend, spurring some of your greatest stories, and bringing out your worst dance moves. But it turns out there are tons of other awesome health benefits, scientifically proven reasons to love a good brew.
The health benefits of beer include anticancer properties, a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases, increased bone density, the prevention of dementia and coronary disease, aid to the digestive system, and anti-aging properties, as well as treating diabetes, gallstones, kidney stones, osteoporosis, and hypertension. It also acts as a serious stress buster and a diuretic.
Health Benefits of Beer
Here are some surprising beer health benefits that might change your perception of the drink.
1. Beer as a cold remedy Drinking warm beer is an excellent cold treatment! When barley is warmed up it improves blood circulation and helps you breathe when you feel congested. In addition, it provides relief for joint pain and boosts your immunity. So, how do you prepare it? Heat a bottle of beer in a double boiler and then add four small teaspoons of honey.
2. Beer prevents type 2 diabetes. Dutch researchers found that when men who weren’t big boozers began drinking over 4 years, they were less likely to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
Increased alcohol consumption over time didn’t lower the danger in guys who already had a couple drinks a day, so moderation is the key word here. Stick to a beer or two at happy hour tonight.
3. Beer help reduces the risk of heart disease. One eye-opening study involving 200,000 subjects conducted at Italy’s Fondazion di Ricerca e Cura found that people who drank a pint of beer daily had a 31% decreased chance of heart disease. This heart-protecting power of beer stems from beer’s natural antioxidants called phenols. But, the study also showed the danger of heart disease increased in individuals who consumed higher amounts of beer.
4. Beer help protects against Alzheimer’s disease. Perhaps one of the most remarkable health benefits of beer is its ability to protect against Alzheimer’s. Researchers at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine analyzed several studies and came to the conclusion that moderate beer drinkers were 23% less likely to develop different forms of dementia and cognitive impairment, including Alzheimer’s. The silicon content in beer is thought to protect the brain from the harmful effects of high levels of aluminum in the body, which are one of the possible causes of Alzheimer’s.
5. Owing to its high silicon content, beer may be good for bone health. Silicon is found to improve bone strength and increase bone mineral density. Still, overconsumption of beer will weaken the bones while increasing the threat of bone fractures. So, when drinking it be mindful of these side effects and drink it in moderation.
6. All the vitamins in beer are good for acne reduction and raising natural skin shine. Further, beer functions as a great hair growth stimulator. The contents of hops and malt in beer make hair healthier and act as an exceptional ingredient for hair growth. When you rinse your hair with beer and wash it off after few minutes, it gives a shine to the hair. Some hairstylists claim it to help with damaged hair. The only problem is that strong smell beer has.
7. A study conducted in Finland established that moderate daily consumption of beer can reduce the risk of developing kidney stones by 40%. This health benefit is attributed to beer’s high water content (about 93%) that helps flush harmful toxins out of the body and keep the kidneys working. Also, compounds in hops used in brewing help slow the release of calcium from bones, which in turn prevents a build-up of lost calcium in the kidney in the form of stones.
8. Beer is an excellent source of soluble fibers that promote general health. This includes being good for the heart, as well as helping to clean out the digestive tracts.
9. Knocking back a beer or two won’t make you smarter, but it could boost your creativity. This was according to a study in the journal Consciousness and Cognition.
When 40 men watched a movie while completing verbal puzzles, beer-buzzed guys with a blood alcohol content of .075 solved the problems a few seconds faster than their sober counterparts.
10. A Guinness a day could keep the eye doctor away. Canadian researchers found that one daily beer especially a lager or stout increases antioxidant activity that can stop cataracts from forming in the eyes.
This sums up a few of the health benefits of beer consumption when done in moderation. Moderate levels of consumption also ensure that the calorie intake from it does not affect the health.
Caution: Drinking beer in excessive amounts is dangerous to health and can negate any and all beneficial effects.